Summer is exactly 42 days, 12 hours, 33 minutes and give or take a few seconds away, but who is counting right?
Despite having to wait a little bit longer until it is officially acceptable to spend your Saturday afternoons drinking a naughty glass of wine in the garden instead of doing the ironing, we still can enjoy this beautiful weather England is (hopefully) going to continue throwing at us.
So who had a great weekend relaxing in the sunshine with a picnic and a Todhunter basket? We did! Who got a little bit too excited relaxing in the sunshine and is feeling a little bit sun burnt today… We are less pleased with this answer. So here are some tips to enjoy the sun safely!
1. Fake it don’t bake it! Now the sun is shining you may see this as the perfect opportunity to get started on your tan. Well you would be wrong! Replace your tanning oils for fake tan to ensure you have healthy skin AND a beautiful glow.
2. Cool off in the shade: Not sitting directly in the sun is the best way to protect your skin from the sun's damaging UV rays.
3. Go shopping for the perfect sunglasses and hat combination! Who said being safe and stylish couldn’t go hand in hand? A beautiful wide brimmed hat offers great protection from your face and neck while giving you an effortlessly fashionable look.
When choosing your sunglasses it is important to pick the ones with the best protection. Make sure they have 100% UV protection written on the label or sticker.
4. Wear sun cream! It is important to wear a Sun Protection Factor (SPF) of at least 15! I know sun cream can be pricey, but an expensive bottle doesn’t necessarily equate to higher protection. Just ensure you choose a bottle with a star rating of at least 4 stars (UVA protection) and the bottle is in date! Make sure you are wearing a lot of it and you reapply regularly! Remember, a bright red sun burnt face is never a good look.
5. Hydrate! We all know we should be drinking more water so bring a bottle everywhere you go! Keep one in your bag, or if you are going on a picnic pop a couple in your Todhunter picnic hamper! To make the flavour a little more interesting why not try putting in a slice of lime or fresh mint?
Most importantly stay safe and have fun!